Hulk Smash

Hulk Smash

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Indestructable Hulk # 1


With Hulk being my all time favorite Superhero I wanted to really scrutinize and re-read the inaugural issue of the Waid run. The cover art was great everything thing inside was tolerable, the colors might be the problem, I'm going to need to see more before I make final judgement, but a good story can make up for lousy art.

I only read a little of Waid's Daredevil run I like that it had more of a seventies feel to it and in some ways this book feels like the era in the eighties after Hulk was walking around with a Banner brain pre- secret wars. I'm not a fan of Hulk having sidekicks who aren't a human Rick Jones, so not sure how I feel about Maria Hill, if this was Pak or David , Banner and Hill would be hooking up by the third issue and there pattering here is reluctant.

The first half of the book is establishing the status quo for Banner, though
The fact he was a mad scientist earlier this year was brushed under the carpet, there was only his ephinany and no period of post crazy readjustment, during Stay Angry rich we are supposed to believe Banner was out curing the ails of the world rather than setting Hulk up in death traps.

When the Hulk shows up to smash the Mad thinker, it's a blur of motion and robot fire, but this is less to do with story and more to do with the art, I do like the fact Thinker confirmed Hulks strength was incalculable and hopefully this is how Waid will approach his power set.

I'm pretty hopeful though I imagine all the armour Hulk is picture wearing is going to have something to do with Banner controlling him after all why else would Hulk need armour? This is the only part I'm skeptical of. We know Attuma and Sand man are both due to show and have seen picture of hulk fighting a lot of heavily armored robot things, I would like to see a new spin taken on some Classics like Abomination , Leader and Zzaak. I think we are good on Tyrannus for the moment and M.o.d.o.k is a little overused. I have a feeling we will see Jarella soon for things I have read in interviews. The gremlin and rhino would be cool to bring back if I was making a wish list, which would also include appearences by Hyde, Moonstone...ok vs old thunderbolts, a raft break out? Go ahead throw in a reworked Ring Leader,and rock and Orgress from the old buster sand if I was writing the book I'd bring back Speedfreak and make some b list villains like him higher profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment